5.4.07

Heidfeld unfazed by expiring contract


Nick Heidfeld is not worried about renewing his contract with BMW-Sauber despite it expiring at the end of the season. He says it's all part of being a Formula One driver and he is just focusing on the job in hand.

"It does not make any difference to me," the 29-year-old told German magazine Auto Motor und Sport. "I've been in Formula One for several years now and been in this situation before. In any case, when I am on the track or sitting in the car I don't think at all about this kind of thing except doing my best."

BMW-Sauber's Sebastian Vettel has impressed in Friday practice sessions and looks set for a promising career. Although BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen had no qualms about ousting more experienced Jacques Villeneuve for hot prospect Robert Kubica last season, Nick Heidfeld simply said "no" as to whether he was afraid of being replaced by his young compatriot. Instead, Heidfeld is looking to establish himself as one of the top drivers at the pinnacle of motorsport and believes that BMW offers him the best opportunity of doing that.


When asked about stepping into Michael Schumacher's shoes as the best German driver, he said: "I think that all German drivers have that as their aim. But it naturally depends on how good the team is. At the moment it looks like I am with the best team with BMW-Sauber. Therefore I am in the best position."But for me it is insignificant," he added. "I don't want to be the best German but the best of all."

(f1.gpupdate.net)

Ei kommentteja: